Trainer banned after horse left with injured leg for 43 days

Trainer Craig Curtis with racehorse Storm Brewing at Morphettville.

The suspension was minimized from an 18-thirty day period penalty because of to Curtis’ guilty plea and a review of his longevity in the racing field, his clear file, co-procedure throughout the inquiry, his remorse and the “fact his livelihood would be impacted”.

A stewards report, unveiled last Thursday, stated the unnamed filly had experienced an injury to its off hind leg on November 1 and was x-rayed by a veterinarian.

The horse was later on found on December thirteen by TRSA stewards and euthanised by a TRSA veterinary surgeon, forty three days after its first diagnosis.

Stewards heard from Curtis, TRSA compliance officer Andrew Hayles, TRSA veterinary surgeon Dr Peter Horridge and veterinarian Dr Bill Marmion, and also considered photographic evidence ahead of providing their verdict.

“While Mr Curtis had presented some treatment to the filly, these types of was not adequate in the instances,” the report stated.

Curtis was dealt two costs by TRSA relating to the negligent care of the horse.

The 1st stated Curtis should’ve taken reasonable methods to have the animal “euthanised on or closer to the time of the guidance remaining obtained from a veterinary surgeon”, or to “engage in a more considerable veterinary program of care to aid the attainable rehabilitation of the filly”.

The 2nd stated he “failed to find further veterinary remedy (for the filly) between the time of assessment on or about 1 November 2019 by a veterinary surgeon and the time of arrival of TRSA stewards at his stables on thirteen December 2019”.

The costs collectively carried an 18-thirty day period ban, still Curtis’ guilty plea to each noticed that penalty halved.

The trainer has appealed the severity of the penalties imposed, and has been granted a remain of proceedings right up until the subject is heard by the Racing Appeals Tribunal.

A TRSA spokesperson verified a date has still to be set for the charm hearing.

Curtis was contacted for remark by The Advertiser.